Between Canon EOS M50 and the Sony Alpha a6400 camera, we suggest you go for the Sony Alpha a6400 as this camera has some impressive and upgraded features. Let us explain the features below:
Why Should You Choose Sony Alpha a6400?
- You can expand the ISO range of Sony Alpha a6400 to 102400, and this high ISO range will ensure an excellent detailed and sharp photo, even in low light. But, you can expand M50’s ISO range to 51200 only.
- Sony Alpha a6400 has 425 focus points, whereas M50 has only 143 focus points. So, with Alpha a6400, you can accurately focus and capture images of any particular object with unique details better than the other one.
- The continuous drive speed of this camera is 11 frames per second, as you can capture any fast-moving objects. On the other hand, with EOS M50, you can capture 10 frames per second.
- This camera has a powerful battery as you can capture approximately 360 frames per charge. But, you can capture only 235 frames with M50.
Sony Alpha a6400 will provide you with a better ISO range, incredible phase detection, higher continuous drive speed, and a powerful battery. So, we recommend the Sony Alpha a6400 camera.
Similar features of Canon EOS M50 and Sony Alpha a6400 cameras
- You can have the best opportunity to record cinematic-looking 4K resolution videos with these cameras.
- They have a mic terminal so that you can use a 3.5 mm Stereo mini-jack for audio recording.
- Both cameras have a 0.39 type viewfinder with 2.36 million dots. So, you will have a perfect view of the object before capturing the photo.
Canon M50 vs Sony a6400: Specifications Chart
|Specification||Sony Alpha a6400||Canon EOS M50|
|Editors ratings||4.9 Out of 5||4.7 Out of 5|
|Battery life of still images||360 Shots||235 Shots|
|Image Processor||BIONZ X||DIGIC 8|
|Battery life for Video recording||125 Minutes||130 minutes|
|In-Body Image Stabilization||No||Yes|
|Continuous Shooting Speed||11 frames per second||10 Frames per second|
|Number of Effective pixels||24.2 Megapixels||24.1 Megapixels|
|Expanded ISO range||102400||51200|
|Screen Type||Touchscreen 3.0 Inches Tilting||Touchscreen 3.0 Inches Vari-angle|
|Focus points||425 Points||143 points|
|Weight||403 grams ( Approximately)||387 grams ( Approximately)|
|Dimension||120.0mm x 66.9mm x 59.7mm||116.3mm x 88.1mm x 58.7mm|
|Image Sensor||Exmor CMOS sensor||CMOS Sensor|
|Image sensor Size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6mm)||APS-C (22.3 x 14.9mm)|
|Max. Video recording||4K (3840 x 2160)||4K (3840 x 2160 )|
|Time- Lapse video||supported||Supported|
|Bluetooth and Wi-Fi compatibility||Yes||Yes|
|Warranty policy||Limited Warranty for one year||Limited Warranty for one year|
Some features of the Canon EOS M50 camera that you can consider:
- Canon EOS M50 has in-body 5-axis image stabilization, which will help you capture steady frames, but this feature isn’t available in Sony Alpha a6400. So you have to use extra lenses with a6400 for image stabilization.
- This camera’s Vari-angle LCD monitor comes with 1.04 million dots, whereas Alpha a6400’s tilting LCD comes with only 0.92 million dots. So, M50’s monitor provides better resolution for image preview than the other one.
- The weight of this camera is 387 grams, and the a6400’s weight is 403 grams. So, the M50 camera comes in a lightweight and provides you better handgrip than the other one.
You can consider these features as mentioned earlier of Canon EOS M50 camera, but Alpha a6400’s amazing features provide a better photographic experience than EOS M50.
Similarities and Differences (Detailed) of Canon EOS M50 and Sony Alpha a6400 camera
Image Sensor and ISO range
Sony Alpha a6400 has a 23.5 x 15.6mm (APS-C) sized Exmor CMOS sensor with 24.2 Megapixels, and the Canon EOS M50 camera has 22.3 x 14.9mm (APS-C) sized CMOS sensor with 24.1 Megapixels. So, both cameras are capable of capturing high-resolution photos and videos with astonishing details. Besides, M50’s ISO range is 100-25600, and you can expand the ISO range to 51200, whereas you can expand A6400’s ISO range to 102400. So, Sony Alpha a6400’s ISO range will help you capture sharp and detailed photos even if the light is low. But, M50 has an image stabilization feature, which isn’t available in an a6400 camera. But, you can get this feature by using additional lenses.
Image Processor and Auto Focus
Canon EOS M50 has DIGIC 8 image processor, and Sony Alpha a6400 has BIONZ X. Both processors are robust and provide you excellent low-noise performance with fantastic image clarity and texture. But, a6400 has 425-phase detection Auto Focus points, and M50 has only 143 AF points. So, a6400 provides a better opportunity to focus on any particular objects manually. Again, both cameras have an eye detection feature that helps you focus on an object’s eye.
Video recording feature
Suppose you are looking for a camera to record 4K resolution realistic depth videos. In that case, you should go for Sony Alpha a6400 camera, as this camera has 35mm super format, and this camera uses total pixels to provide high-bit-rate XAVC S18 format. Therefore, this camera will provide you with professional photographic experience. Besides, you can also record 4K resolution videos, but a6400 ensures premium quality. Furthermore, both cameras can record time-lapse videos and have a 3.5mm Stereo mini-jack for audio recording.
Weight and Dimension
Including battery and memory card, Canon EOS M50’s weight is approx. 387 grams and Alpha a6400’s weight is approx.403 grams. Again, M50’s dimension is 116.3mm x 88.1mm x 58.7mm and Alpha a6400’s dimension is 120.0mm x 66.9mm x 59.7mm. Both cameras have amazing hand grip so that you can hold the camera perfectly and capture images accurately.
Both cameras have 3.0 inches, LCD monitors with touch panels. So, you can control and focus by clicking on the screen with your fingers. But, M50’s Vari-angle screen has 1.04 million dots, and Alpha a6400‘s Vari-angle screen has 0.92 million dots. So, both cameras are going to provide you a fast experience while previewing the images. Furthermore, you can wirelessly transfer your files with these cameras as they have Bluetooth and Wi-Fi features.
Battery life and Warranty policy
Sony Alpha a6400 has NP-FW50 (Rechargeable) battery, and EOS M50 has LP-E12 (Rechargeable) battery. Here, Alpha a6400’s battery is more powerful than the EOS M50 camera, as you can capture 360 frames with it. Besides, you can capture only 275 frames (approx.) with an EOS M50 camera. But, M50’s battery provides 130 minutes of video recording, and the a6400’s battery provides 125 minutes of video recording. Moreover, both cameras include a warranty for one year. But the warranty has limitations like- the Company will not fix free of charge or replace on the off chance that you harm the camera by utilizing it generally.
You can see that the Sony Alpha a6400 has better features than the Canon EOS M50 camera. So, we recommend you get the Sony Alpha a6400 for its unique and professional qualities. Otherwise, you can choose the Canon EOS M50 camera.
You may have interest in another comparison: Canon M50 vs Sony a6000
Frequently Asked Questions about Canon EOS M50 and Sony Alpha a6400
|Does Sony a6400 have any in-body image stabilization?
No, this camera doesn’t have this feature, but you can use lenses for image stabilization.
What is the weight of the Sony Alpha a6400?
Including battery and memory card, the Sony Alpha a6400 weighs 403 grams.
Is there any mic terminal in the Sony Alpha a6400 camera?
Yes, this camera has a 3.5 mm Stereo mini-jack.
Can I expand the ISO range of the Sony Alpha a6400 camera?
Yes, you can expand the ISO range to 102400, which will help you capture images in low lights.
Can I capture images or videos silently with these cameras?
Yes, they have a silent operation feature that quiets the shutter’s sound to capture images or record videos silently.